Skip to main content

Ratatouille

I'm not sure how I got it into my head that I wanted to make ratatouille, maybe because all the vegetables are in season, or once I thought of it I couldn't get the cute cooking rat out of my head.  In any case, it was a great way to utilize a bunch of the CSA veggies (and a few extras from the farm stand) this week.  I read a whole bunch of recipes online, but went with the Joy of Cooking, my go-to for classic recipes.

Ratatouille
Ingredients:
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 lb. zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups onions, sliced
2 large bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, chopped
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup basil, chopped

I prepped the eggplant by putting the cubes into a colander, sprinkling with salt and leaving for about 30 minutes.  This draws out some of the liquid and eliminates bitterness.

In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium high heat.  Saute the zucchini and eggplant for about 10 minutes, until tender.  Remove to a bowl.

Reduce the heat to medium, and add 2 Tablespoons olive oil.  I had a minor setback because there was a few tiny pieces of eggplant that had stuck to the bottom of the pot and burned, so I had to clean the pot and start fresh.  This was especially annoying because we were trying to finish dinner in time to go get ice cream.  Priorities.

Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent.  Add in peppers and garlic, salt and pepper, thyme and bay leaf.  Cook for 1 minute more.

Return eggplant and zucchini to the pot, add tomatoes and basil, and cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.  Side note: the Wusthof tomato knife is amazing.

This would be excellent with fresh bread to soak up the juices.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

A few weeks ago we went into Boston for the day. After chasing little people up, down, and around the Children's Museum, watching Colin climb up three stories on a jungle gym and James' excitement at a room filled with golf balls, we went to Flour Bakery for lunch.  I had the Roasted Sweet Potato sandwich, and it was amazing. I just checked the menu , and it looks like they don't offer it right now, but lucky for you I made a salad that's just as good.  The original sandwich was roasted sweet potato, apple, walnut pesto, blue cheese and kale on wheat bread.  I took some liberties, changed up some ingredients, and made it into a salad. Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Romaine and Kale, shredded Olive oil Sweet potato rounds, roasted Apple, sliced Avocado Roasted tomatoes Goat cheese Balsamic Vinegar Drizzle kale and romaine with olive oil Sweet potatoes - coat slices or cubes with olive oil and roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Tomatoes - toss with olive o

Lemon Garlic Baked Salmon

Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and ate all the cookies.  I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but all the treats I've been eating for the past month have been making me feel a little sluggish.  When I saw a one day "cleanse" I thought I'd give it a try.  Loosely, it called for drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning, a Glowing Green Smoothie for breakfast, Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea and vegetables for lunch and dinner. My day went like this: First thing after my run: Hot Lemon water - This is a nice way to warm up.  I do this all the time. Breakfast: Glowing Green Smoothie - I liked it a lot.  Very refreshing and hydrating.  Wished I hadn't baked donuts the night before as they were staring me down on the kitchen counter. Lunch: Spicy Mulligatawny Soup - I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant by "salad," but I went with it. Snack: Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea - Zingy and invigorat

My big sister and the egg sandwich that might cure her cancer

I usually like to keep things light hearted here At Home With Ann.  Simple recipes, awkward jokes, toddler antics and kitchen fiascos.  But we all experience times in life when we are thrown for a loop and face something that stops us in our tracks.  I, like a classic control freak, tend to keep things to myself.   Everything is under control, see? My house is clean, dinner is cooked, the dishes are done, I'm on schedule, I blow dried my hair, I don't need help.  See?  See?   But this time it's not about me, it's not something I can control, and wishing it away won't actually make it go away. Me, my Mom and Sarah last Summer Three years ago my sister, Sarah, was diagnosed with a form of leukemia called AML (acute myeloid leukemia).  My reaction was typical.  This happens to other people.  Not my 33 year old sister who lives by the ocean, gets tons of fresh air and exercise, and eats healthier than anyone who has ever entered Whole Foods.  She can't be sic