Skip to main content

Brownies, Two Ways

This weekend I went to a bridal shower for my brother-in-law's fiancee.  I volunteered to bring some desserts.  My mother-in-law suggested something in the chocolate family, but said that the most important thing to bring is her grandson.  Colin was all ready to visit, so I got to baking.  I couldn't decide between two brownie recipes, so I made them both.  The first are vegan low-fat brownies that are more cake-like, and also more conducive to wearing formal gowns in a few weeks.  The others are extra fudgy, extra chocolatey, bites of heaven.

Double Chocolate Single Chin Brownies
recipe from Peas and Thank You

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips (vegan if you are strict)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a small bowl (or your two cup measuring cup), stir together applesauce, sugar and vanilla.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour batter into a prepared 8x8 pan or mini muffin cups.
If baking in 8x8 pan, bake for 18-20 minutes.  Bake for 10-15 minutes in the mini muffin cups.  

I made a test batch of these last weekend to decide whether I wanted to bring them to the party.  I underbaked them a bit so the middle brownies were extra gooey.  I tweeted Mama Pea herself to tell her how good they were and that the undercooked batch was like eating batter.  She probably thought I was a complete moron for alerting her to the groundbreaking discovery that undercooked brownies taste like brownie batter.  She was very nice about it, though.

In any case, these are more cake-like brownies, as you would expect since they have applesauce in place of butter and eggs.  They are almost like little mini chocolate cupcakes.  The chocolate chips are a nice addition. 


If you are looking for a more classic brownie recipe that's dense, intensely chocolatey, and fudgy, then this next one is for you.  There are few things in cooking that smell as good or look as pretty as chocolate and butter melting in a double boiler.  

Classic Brownies
recipe based on 500 Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
4 oz. bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate
1 cup light brown sugar
pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl set over a barely simmering pot of water.  Whisk to combine.
Stir in sugar, salt and vanilla.
Remove from heat.  Using a hand mixer, and beat in the eggs one at a time.
On low speed, slowly mix in the flour.  Beat until smooth.
Pour batter into the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes and then lift out using the parchment.
Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

A few weeks ago we went into Boston for the day. After chasing little people up, down, and around the Children's Museum, watching Colin climb up three stories on a jungle gym and James' excitement at a room filled with golf balls, we went to Flour Bakery for lunch.  I had the Roasted Sweet Potato sandwich, and it was amazing. I just checked the menu , and it looks like they don't offer it right now, but lucky for you I made a salad that's just as good.  The original sandwich was roasted sweet potato, apple, walnut pesto, blue cheese and kale on wheat bread.  I took some liberties, changed up some ingredients, and made it into a salad. Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Romaine and Kale, shredded Olive oil Sweet potato rounds, roasted Apple, sliced Avocado Roasted tomatoes Goat cheese Balsamic Vinegar Drizzle kale and romaine with olive oil Sweet potatoes - coat slices or cubes with olive oil and roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Tomatoes - toss with olive o

Lemon Garlic Baked Salmon

Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and ate all the cookies.  I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but all the treats I've been eating for the past month have been making me feel a little sluggish.  When I saw a one day "cleanse" I thought I'd give it a try.  Loosely, it called for drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning, a Glowing Green Smoothie for breakfast, Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea and vegetables for lunch and dinner. My day went like this: First thing after my run: Hot Lemon water - This is a nice way to warm up.  I do this all the time. Breakfast: Glowing Green Smoothie - I liked it a lot.  Very refreshing and hydrating.  Wished I hadn't baked donuts the night before as they were staring me down on the kitchen counter. Lunch: Spicy Mulligatawny Soup - I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant by "salad," but I went with it. Snack: Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea - Zingy and invigorat

My big sister and the egg sandwich that might cure her cancer

I usually like to keep things light hearted here At Home With Ann.  Simple recipes, awkward jokes, toddler antics and kitchen fiascos.  But we all experience times in life when we are thrown for a loop and face something that stops us in our tracks.  I, like a classic control freak, tend to keep things to myself.   Everything is under control, see? My house is clean, dinner is cooked, the dishes are done, I'm on schedule, I blow dried my hair, I don't need help.  See?  See?   But this time it's not about me, it's not something I can control, and wishing it away won't actually make it go away. Me, my Mom and Sarah last Summer Three years ago my sister, Sarah, was diagnosed with a form of leukemia called AML (acute myeloid leukemia).  My reaction was typical.  This happens to other people.  Not my 33 year old sister who lives by the ocean, gets tons of fresh air and exercise, and eats healthier than anyone who has ever entered Whole Foods.  She can't be sic