Skip to main content

Cranberry Orange Muffins

It's been almost two months.  I know.  Time seems to be flying by at an alarming rate these days, and I'm ashamed to say I've been opening up my blog more often to look up recipes than to write them.  But here I am with muffins!

Whenever I start cooking (or doing dishes) in the kitchen, my little helper arrives dragging his stool with him to see what's going on and "help."  Things often end up in a sea of flour, but we have a good time.  After making these he reached for the spatula in the bowl, hoping for a lick of batter and said, "would like to be delicious."  Me too, buddy, me too.



Cranberry Orange Muffins
based on Joyful Healthy Eats

2 cups flour (I used both all-purpose and whole wheat pastry with success)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1 egg
3/4-1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or butter)
1 teaspoon grated orange zest (1 orange)
Milk or more orange juice, as needed to moisten batter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a muffin tin with cooking spray or paper liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest.
In another bowl, beat egg, orange juice, and coconut oil. 
Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined.
Fold in cranberries.
Portion between 12 regular sized muffin cups.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

A few weeks ago we went into Boston for the day. After chasing little people up, down, and around the Children's Museum, watching Colin climb up three stories on a jungle gym and James' excitement at a room filled with golf balls, we went to Flour Bakery for lunch.  I had the Roasted Sweet Potato sandwich, and it was amazing. I just checked the menu , and it looks like they don't offer it right now, but lucky for you I made a salad that's just as good.  The original sandwich was roasted sweet potato, apple, walnut pesto, blue cheese and kale on wheat bread.  I took some liberties, changed up some ingredients, and made it into a salad. Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Romaine and Kale, shredded Olive oil Sweet potato rounds, roasted Apple, sliced Avocado Roasted tomatoes Goat cheese Balsamic Vinegar Drizzle kale and romaine with olive oil Sweet potatoes - coat slices or cubes with olive oil and roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Tomatoes - toss with olive o

Lemon Garlic Baked Salmon

Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and ate all the cookies.  I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but all the treats I've been eating for the past month have been making me feel a little sluggish.  When I saw a one day "cleanse" I thought I'd give it a try.  Loosely, it called for drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning, a Glowing Green Smoothie for breakfast, Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea and vegetables for lunch and dinner. My day went like this: First thing after my run: Hot Lemon water - This is a nice way to warm up.  I do this all the time. Breakfast: Glowing Green Smoothie - I liked it a lot.  Very refreshing and hydrating.  Wished I hadn't baked donuts the night before as they were staring me down on the kitchen counter. Lunch: Spicy Mulligatawny Soup - I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant by "salad," but I went with it. Snack: Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea - Zingy and invigorat

My big sister and the egg sandwich that might cure her cancer

I usually like to keep things light hearted here At Home With Ann.  Simple recipes, awkward jokes, toddler antics and kitchen fiascos.  But we all experience times in life when we are thrown for a loop and face something that stops us in our tracks.  I, like a classic control freak, tend to keep things to myself.   Everything is under control, see? My house is clean, dinner is cooked, the dishes are done, I'm on schedule, I blow dried my hair, I don't need help.  See?  See?   But this time it's not about me, it's not something I can control, and wishing it away won't actually make it go away. Me, my Mom and Sarah last Summer Three years ago my sister, Sarah, was diagnosed with a form of leukemia called AML (acute myeloid leukemia).  My reaction was typical.  This happens to other people.  Not my 33 year old sister who lives by the ocean, gets tons of fresh air and exercise, and eats healthier than anyone who has ever entered Whole Foods.  She can't be sic