Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Shrimp and Corn Cakes

I am having a serious love affair with this month's Cooking Light.  After this I might be done, but only until the next issue comes out.  Cooking Light isn't giving me anything to sing their praises (I wish!), I just think they're awesome.  Even though a couple weeks ago on an especially sleep-deprived day they called me with an offer to review a new cookbook.  I'm usually strong and hold my ground, but this time I agreed just to get them to stop talking to me so I could try to get the baby to sleep. 

Shrimp and Corn Cakes
recipe adapted from Cooking Light 

Makes 16 small cakes, serving size is 3

Ingredients:
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups corn kernels
1 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 large egg
1 serrano chili, seeded and roughly chopped
1/3 cup red bell pepper, roughly chopped
12 ounces cooked shrimp, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
canola oil, for frying

Directions:
In a bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
Place 1 1/2 cups corn, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, hot sauce and egg in a food processor.  Pulse until almost smooth.
Add in serrano chili and bell pepper, pulse a couple times to chop.  You don't want to puree the peppers, just save yourself some chopping time.  
In a large bowl, combine corn mixture, remaining corn kernels, shrimp, green onions, and garlic.
Mix in cornmeal and flour mixture.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat (I found non-stick worked well here).
Add canola oil to the pan and drop 1/4 cup portions of the shrimp and corn cake mixture.  Use a spatula to flatten and shape.
Cook for about 3 minutes per side, until browned and crispy.
Put cooked cakes in a 250 degree oven to keep warm.
Leftovers reheat well in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, finish with a quick broil to add crispiness.

These were great!  I will definitely be making them again when we start getting corn from our CSA.  We ate them alongside my favorite cranberry apple quinoa.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

photo 1-1 photo 1-2