Skip to main content

Clean Recipe Roundup


For the past few weeks, I've been doing the 21 Day Fix.  Let me tell you, those workouts are no joke, and they work. Along with the workouts is a clean eating plan. I personally found the portion controlling to be a little restrictive (I'm going to eat as many fruits and vegetables as I want), but I liked that it was a reminder to eat clean and avoid processed food.  I always love the opportunity to try new recipes, and everything we've been eating lately is going into our regular rotation.  I put together a little round-up of some of my favorites, because I assure you that my easy variation on tuna nicoise is far better than cold grilled cheese crusts for lunch.

Breakfast

Veggie Scramble - This has become one of my favorite dishes. I cook zucchini, kale, and tomatoes in olive oil. Mix with a scrambled egg and top with pesto.

Avocado Toast - So simple, so filling, and so good.  A slice of Ezekial or other sprouted bread, topped with mashed avocado, an egg and sea salt.

Egg Muffins - I like to make these on Sunday night for us to eat throughout the week.  Use any combination of veggies or meat you like and put in a greased muffin tin.  Whisk together 6 eggs and 1/2 cup milk.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour egg mixture over filling and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until set.

Chocolate Smoothie - This is one of my favorite snacks, anytime of day.  Frozen banana, cocoa powder, milk, a splash of vanilla and as much spinach as you can pack in the blender.  It's like a super frosty!

Green Tea with Honey and Turmeric - I was soooore the first week of workouts. Turmeric is an excellent anti-inflammatory, among many other health benefits, so I've been mixing it into my green tea with honey.







Lunch

Lazy Girl Tuna Nicoise - Roast chopped potatoes and green beans (you can even use frozen!) in a 425 degree oven for 30-40 minutes (less for the beans).  In a bowl, mix together vegetables, one can of Italian tuna in olive oil, juice of one lemon and salt and pepper.  Serve with greens.  Add in hard boiled eggs and olives, if you like.

Egg and Avocado Salad - Mix together two chopped hard boiled eggs, half an avocado, a Tablespoon or two of Greek Yogurt, and a teaspoon of mustard. Season with dill, salt and pepper.

Chickpea Avocado Salad- Mix together one can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, one chopped avocado, chopped feta cheese and toss with a drizzle of olive oil and the juice of a lime.











Dinner

Salmon with Greek Yogurt Sauce - I love salmon because it cooks so quickly.  Grilled, sauteed or broiled, it only takes a few minutes.  The sauce is greek yogurt, lemon juice and dill.

Taco Bowls - When in doubt, make tacos.  I like to clean mine up by serving the meat (or beans) on lettuce and topping with avocado, greek yogurt, cilatro, and hot sauce. 

White Chicken Chili - This is one of my new favorite meals! Recipe here.

Burgers on a Lettuce Wrap - Our standard burger recipe is to mix grass fed beef with worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.  I skipped the bun and topped it with avocado, goat cheese, pesto and tomatoes, and wrapped the whole thing in lettuce leaves.

Tropical Chicken Salad - Romaine topped with pineapple, oranges, bell peppers, scallions and grilled chicken.   Dressed with honey mustard: 1/2 cup yogurt, 3 T dijon mustard, 3T honey, 3T apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, pepper, and water to thin to desired consistency.

Salmon Cakes - My go-to dinner. You're probably sick of hearing about these, so just make them already! http://athome-ann.blogspot.com/2014/04/salmon-cakes-paleo-and-delicious.html

Italian Chicken with Zoodles - In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add 1/2 cupped onion, 2 cloves chopped garlic and cook for a few minutes.  Add in 1 teaspoon oregano and 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Turn off heat and mix in 1 cup ricotta cheese, 1 cup spinach leaves and 1 lb. cooked chicken.  Sprinkle with grated parmesan and serve over zucchini noodles. 

Cauliflower Crust Pizza - I used this recipe for my crust.  They key to getting it crust-like as opposed to soggy cauliflower is to remove as much liquid as possible. I wrap mine in a clean dishtowel and wring it as hard as I can.  I recommend being generous with your herbs and spices for seasoning, because cauliflower can be bland.  


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

A few weeks ago we went into Boston for the day. After chasing little people up, down, and around the Children's Museum, watching Colin climb up three stories on a jungle gym and James' excitement at a room filled with golf balls, we went to Flour Bakery for lunch.  I had the Roasted Sweet Potato sandwich, and it was amazing. I just checked the menu , and it looks like they don't offer it right now, but lucky for you I made a salad that's just as good.  The original sandwich was roasted sweet potato, apple, walnut pesto, blue cheese and kale on wheat bread.  I took some liberties, changed up some ingredients, and made it into a salad. Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Romaine and Kale, shredded Olive oil Sweet potato rounds, roasted Apple, sliced Avocado Roasted tomatoes Goat cheese Balsamic Vinegar Drizzle kale and romaine with olive oil Sweet potatoes - coat slices or cubes with olive oil and roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Tomatoes - toss with olive o

Lemon Garlic Baked Salmon

Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and ate all the cookies.  I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but all the treats I've been eating for the past month have been making me feel a little sluggish.  When I saw a one day "cleanse" I thought I'd give it a try.  Loosely, it called for drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning, a Glowing Green Smoothie for breakfast, Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea and vegetables for lunch and dinner. My day went like this: First thing after my run: Hot Lemon water - This is a nice way to warm up.  I do this all the time. Breakfast: Glowing Green Smoothie - I liked it a lot.  Very refreshing and hydrating.  Wished I hadn't baked donuts the night before as they were staring me down on the kitchen counter. Lunch: Spicy Mulligatawny Soup - I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant by "salad," but I went with it. Snack: Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea - Zingy and invigorat

My big sister and the egg sandwich that might cure her cancer

I usually like to keep things light hearted here At Home With Ann.  Simple recipes, awkward jokes, toddler antics and kitchen fiascos.  But we all experience times in life when we are thrown for a loop and face something that stops us in our tracks.  I, like a classic control freak, tend to keep things to myself.   Everything is under control, see? My house is clean, dinner is cooked, the dishes are done, I'm on schedule, I blow dried my hair, I don't need help.  See?  See?   But this time it's not about me, it's not something I can control, and wishing it away won't actually make it go away. Me, my Mom and Sarah last Summer Three years ago my sister, Sarah, was diagnosed with a form of leukemia called AML (acute myeloid leukemia).  My reaction was typical.  This happens to other people.  Not my 33 year old sister who lives by the ocean, gets tons of fresh air and exercise, and eats healthier than anyone who has ever entered Whole Foods.  She can't be sic