Skip to main content

Oven Crispy Chicken with Lemony Garlic Sugar Snap Peas

The U-Pick item at our CSA this week was sugar snap peas.  I have fond memories of picking these in our garden growing up and eating one for every one I put in the basket.  They are like vegetable candy, you know, if candy tasted like vegetables.  I was excited to take Colin out into the fields at the farm and fill up our little basket.  As it turns out, Colin was excited to be out in the fields as well because as I was trying to balance while crouching down, he was leaning as far back as possible in the Ergo to look around.  This made the whole balancing thing a bit of a challenge, but totally worth it.  And I snuck a few snap peas straight from the vine into my mouth.

I am a big dork and always get extra happy about cooking vegetables I picked myself, and go on and on to my taste testers about how they couldn't be any fresher and are totally perfect.  This very simple salad met with good reviews, although the consensus was that they were extra garlicky.  Good, but garlicky.  I would recommend sticking to a small clove of garlic.

As you know, I take several hours to make dinner every night because I do it in stages depending on how long my sidekick feels like amusing himself.  As the afternoon wears on, those periods of time get shorter and shorter, so anything I can make early in the day is a bonus.   We ate this dish at room temperature, but you could also stick it in the fridge, so it was ideal.  It took about 5 minutes total start to finish.

Lemony Sugar Snap Peas
original recipe from Cooking Light

12 ounces sugar snap peas
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 shallot, minced (I subbed a garlic clove - use a small one!)

In a large pot, boil 6 cups water. (Enough to easily cook the peas.)
Add in the sugar snap peas and cook for 30-45 seconds, until crisp tender.
Drain peas and immediately put in a large bowl filled with ice water.
Make the dressing.  Whisk together remaining ingredients and toss with drained sugar snap peas.

I highly suggest serving these with some french bread so you can mop up the extra dressing. 

Cooking Light offered some variations on this, as well, which all sound delicious.  Follow the link to their site above if you'd like to check them out. 

Two recipes today!  I had thin sliced chicken breasts that were destined to be part of dinner.  I flip-flopped on what to make with them.  Something Asian?  We had Chinese takeout and stir fry already this week.  Something Mexican?  Taco Salads are on the menu for next week.  Some sort of salad?  That was appealing.  Somehow I landed at glorified chicken fingers, and they were perfect.  I'm thinking of using the leftovers sliced over salad for dinner tonight.  

Oven Crispy Chicken
recipe from Gimme Some Oven 

1 1/2 lbs thin sliced chicken breasts or tenders 
1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
 

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a foil lined baking sheet with cooking spray.
Set up your breading station.
Dish one: flour mixed with salt and pepper
Dish two: whisked eggs 
Dish three: breadcrumbs mixed with oregano, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne 

Using tongs, coat each chicken breast (or tender) lightly in flour, shake to remove excess.
Coat in egg and then toss in breadcrumbs.
Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, flipping once.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

A few weeks ago we went into Boston for the day. After chasing little people up, down, and around the Children's Museum, watching Colin climb up three stories on a jungle gym and James' excitement at a room filled with golf balls, we went to Flour Bakery for lunch.  I had the Roasted Sweet Potato sandwich, and it was amazing. I just checked the menu , and it looks like they don't offer it right now, but lucky for you I made a salad that's just as good.  The original sandwich was roasted sweet potato, apple, walnut pesto, blue cheese and kale on wheat bread.  I took some liberties, changed up some ingredients, and made it into a salad. Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Romaine and Kale, shredded Olive oil Sweet potato rounds, roasted Apple, sliced Avocado Roasted tomatoes Goat cheese Balsamic Vinegar Drizzle kale and romaine with olive oil Sweet potatoes - coat slices or cubes with olive oil and roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Tomatoes - toss with olive o

Lemon Garlic Baked Salmon

Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and ate all the cookies.  I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but all the treats I've been eating for the past month have been making me feel a little sluggish.  When I saw a one day "cleanse" I thought I'd give it a try.  Loosely, it called for drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning, a Glowing Green Smoothie for breakfast, Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea and vegetables for lunch and dinner. My day went like this: First thing after my run: Hot Lemon water - This is a nice way to warm up.  I do this all the time. Breakfast: Glowing Green Smoothie - I liked it a lot.  Very refreshing and hydrating.  Wished I hadn't baked donuts the night before as they were staring me down on the kitchen counter. Lunch: Spicy Mulligatawny Soup - I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant by "salad," but I went with it. Snack: Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea - Zingy and invigorat

Baby Breakfast Cookies and Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes

I make these recipes for Colin, but grown up people might like them too! Colin was never big into baby food purees.  I fed him one jar of food back when he first started eating solids, mostly so that I could have the cute mini jar to use for lotion.  I think those "complete meals in a jar" are kind of creepy.  Chicken dinner puree?  No, thanks.  For the most part he has eaten fruits and vegetables, either raw, steamed, roasted or sauteed.  A few things have been big hits and I use them as staples: broccoli and roasted sweet potatoes.  He's big in picking things up himself.  We can get into ruts, however, one of which resulted in his eating an entire roasted butternut squash over a two week period. He likes to help in the kitchen, which means he wants to see everything that's going on and touch it.  Cooking with one hand while holding him with the other can be a bit of a challenge.  Sometimes I can convince him that the view from his chair is pretty good, and he tak