Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Chia Chocolate Pudding

I tried chia seeds for the first time yesterday.  Yes, the ch-ch-chia.  Same stuff.  In addition to sprouting within hours to make a fun toy, they are also high in fiber, antioxidants, protein, and full of vitamins, minerals and omega-3s.  All good stuff. 

When you add chia to any liquid, it gels and thickens up.  This is why it lends itself to making healthy pudding.  A mixture of milk and chia seeds, stirred together and chilled in the fridge for 30 minutes, and you have instant pudding that's actually good for you!

Chia Chocolate Pudding
Serves 2

1/4 cup chia seeds
3/4 cup milk (I used almond milk)
2 Tablespoons hot chocolate mix
or
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon sweetener (sugar, stevia, or agave)

Combine all ingredients in a covered container.  I used a mason jar.  Stir well.  Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.

My verdict: I used hot chocolate mix and found it maybe needed a little more flavor.  I think the cocoa/sugar combo is the way to go.  I might just top mine off with some extra chocolate.


As a side note, if you want to feel like a successful gardener, plant some mint.  At the end of last summer, my Mom gave me a few mint plants she had transplanted from her garden.  I left them in my car for an entire weekend, planted them when I got home, and watered a few times.  Once, while weeding, I accidentally pulled one up, and just jammed it back in the ground.  This spring, an explosion of mint plants came up, and I have more mint than I know what to do with!  

1 comment:

  1. Chia pudding with hazelnut milk, cocoa powder, honey and coconut oil was a success. Still tweaking, but I think I am used to pudding being more sugary, which is what we're trying to avoid here!

    ReplyDelete

photo 1-1 photo 1-2