Skip to main content

Saturday Night Pizza - BBQ Chicken and Mushroom with Arugula

This weekend marks the one year anniversary of our move to this house.  I can't believe it!  It's certainly been quite a year.  While there are advantages (free reign to decorate how I want, plenty of space, our own yard and wonderful porch) and disadvantages (replacing the water heater, the prospect of paying a mortgage for the next 30 years, the mysterious scratching noise in the attic) to owning a home in the suburbs as opposed to renting an apartment in the city, one of the things that has significantly changed are our weekend activities.  Back in the day, we would go out to eat at one of the many fantastic restaurants a few steps from our apartment.  Now, although the suburbs do have some good dining out options, we usually find ourselves cooking at home.

If you've been reading for a while, you know that homemade pizza is one of our favorite weekend dinners.  It's great to cook together - even when one of the cooks is kind of bossy like me.

As usual, we went with the tried and true Whole Wheat Pizza Dough.  Step by step directions here.  I start the dough in the morning, it really only takes a few hours to come together.  It can also be made a day in advance, just refrigerate and bring to room temperature before rolling.  We make two thin crust pizzas, which results in a lot of leftovers.  I love leftover pizza, but if you are just cooking for two people who don't want to eat pizza for the next three meals, you can put half the dough in the freezer and you'll be ready for next time!  Alternatively, you can find fresh pizza dough at most markets now, check in the prepared food section near those sandwiches no one buys.

I confess I usually shy away from mushrooms. I think it's because of bad experiences with slimy button mushrooms that have been overcooked.  In reality, mushrooms are great, and I'm so glad I tried this pizza because it was delicious!  The combination of the earthy mushrooms, salty feta, creamy mozzarella, and spicy arugula was a winner.

Magic Mushroom Pizza
adapted from Shape Magazine

3 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced (I used three Portabellas)
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 garlic clove minced (I omitted because I'm out of garlic)
pinch dried red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
salt and pepper
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup crumbled feta
3 cups arugula
pizza dough

Preheat pizza stone in oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium bowl, combine the mushrooms, parsley, garlic, red pepper, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Drizzle with a little olive oil and vinegar.  Allow to marinate while you roll dough.
Spread mushroom mixture over prepared dough, sprinkle with mozzarella and feta cheese.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the crust are golden brown and slightly crispy.
Toss arugula with oil and vinegar (you can use the same bowl you mixed the mushrooms in).
Serve pizza topped with arugula.




Barbecue Chicken Pizza

1 pound chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into small pieces
canola oil
1/2-1 cup barbecue sauce (I used Stubb's)
3 slices bacon, cooked
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2-3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2-3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (we like our cheese, so you can use your judgement here)
pizza dough

In a frying pan, heat oil over medium heat.  Saute chicken until fully cooked.  You can also poach the chicken in boiling water, but I don't like the way that looks.  Toss cooked chicken in barbecue sauce and allow to marinate for a few minutes.
Top the pizza crust with chicken, remaining sauce (or tons of sauce if Jon is cooking - I take no responsibility for this), sliced onion and crumbled bacon.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly before slicing, barbecue sauce gets hot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

A few weeks ago we went into Boston for the day. After chasing little people up, down, and around the Children's Museum, watching Colin climb up three stories on a jungle gym and James' excitement at a room filled with golf balls, we went to Flour Bakery for lunch.  I had the Roasted Sweet Potato sandwich, and it was amazing. I just checked the menu , and it looks like they don't offer it right now, but lucky for you I made a salad that's just as good.  The original sandwich was roasted sweet potato, apple, walnut pesto, blue cheese and kale on wheat bread.  I took some liberties, changed up some ingredients, and made it into a salad. Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Romaine and Kale, shredded Olive oil Sweet potato rounds, roasted Apple, sliced Avocado Roasted tomatoes Goat cheese Balsamic Vinegar Drizzle kale and romaine with olive oil Sweet potatoes - coat slices or cubes with olive oil and roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Tomatoes - toss with olive o

Lemon Garlic Baked Salmon

Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and ate all the cookies.  I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but all the treats I've been eating for the past month have been making me feel a little sluggish.  When I saw a one day "cleanse" I thought I'd give it a try.  Loosely, it called for drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning, a Glowing Green Smoothie for breakfast, Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea and vegetables for lunch and dinner. My day went like this: First thing after my run: Hot Lemon water - This is a nice way to warm up.  I do this all the time. Breakfast: Glowing Green Smoothie - I liked it a lot.  Very refreshing and hydrating.  Wished I hadn't baked donuts the night before as they were staring me down on the kitchen counter. Lunch: Spicy Mulligatawny Soup - I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant by "salad," but I went with it. Snack: Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea - Zingy and invigorat

Baby Breakfast Cookies and Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes

I make these recipes for Colin, but grown up people might like them too! Colin was never big into baby food purees.  I fed him one jar of food back when he first started eating solids, mostly so that I could have the cute mini jar to use for lotion.  I think those "complete meals in a jar" are kind of creepy.  Chicken dinner puree?  No, thanks.  For the most part he has eaten fruits and vegetables, either raw, steamed, roasted or sauteed.  A few things have been big hits and I use them as staples: broccoli and roasted sweet potatoes.  He's big in picking things up himself.  We can get into ruts, however, one of which resulted in his eating an entire roasted butternut squash over a two week period. He likes to help in the kitchen, which means he wants to see everything that's going on and touch it.  Cooking with one hand while holding him with the other can be a bit of a challenge.  Sometimes I can convince him that the view from his chair is pretty good, and he tak