Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower and Chicken Sausage
adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 package (4 links) chicken sausage - I've used spicy jalapeno and chicken apple, both with success
- 3 cups small cauliflower florets - I use the entire head of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 cups uncooked farfalle - I use whole wheat rotini
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Pierce sausage several times with a knife. Combine sausage, cauliflower, and 1 tablespoon oil in a small roasting pan; toss. Sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Add garlic to pan; toss. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until sausage is done. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut sausage crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- 3. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons pasta cooking water. I just use the lid of the saucepan to help drain, which leaves a little pasta water. Combine pasta, reserved cooking water, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and crushed red pepper in a large bowl; toss. Add cauliflower mixture, sausage, and cheese; toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Serves 4-5