Skip to main content

Oven Roasted Haddock with Fresh Herb Breadcrumbs and Saucy Squash

This recipe was kind of, sort of, inspired by Tyler Florence.  In the midst of one of the many feeding sessions during the day, I turned on Food Network.  Tyler's Ultimate was on, he was making a roasted salmon over ratatouille, and it looked delicious. 

It used to be that Colin would ignore the TV when he was eating, because, you know, eating is his favorite; but now he'll fling himself back to look around and smile at me.  This is adorable, and all well and good, but I'd really rather he focus on the task at hand, so my TV watching might need to be put on hold. 

We just had salmon, and while I'm happy to eat it every week, I thought it would be good to try something a little different, so I picked up some haddock.  The summer squash and herbs were from the CSA, and they were fresh and delicious.  The Saucy Squash is really just a tomato sauce with summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes and basil.  I'm using the leftovers to make french bread pizza tonight. 


Oven Roasted Haddock with Fresh Herb Breadcrumbs
1 lb. haddock fillet
2 cups bread cubes
Bunch of fresh basil and parsley
Olive oil

In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together bread cubes, basil and parsley until mostly crumbly.  It's alright if a few larger pieces remain.
Stream in olive oil, maybe a tablespoon or so, until the mixture starts to hold together.
Reserve breadcrumbs and fish until squash is ready.

Saucy Squash
Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 small zucchini, sliced
3 small summer squash, sliced
3-4 tomatoes, chopped
2 cups (or 14 oz. can) crushed tomatoes
6 oz. can tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
kosher salt and pepper
Handful fresh basil leaves

In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium.
Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, until translucent.
Add in the garlic and cook for one minute, stirring.
Pour in crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.
Add in squash, zucchini and fresh tomatoes.
Season with red pepper, salt and pepper.
Simmer over low heat until squash have softened, about 10 minutes.
Turn off heat and stir in basil leaves.

This made A LOT of sauce, so if you don't want leftovers, I would recommend cutting the quantities in half.  

Spread a generous layer sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish.
Lay fish on top and cover with breadcrumbs.
Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

You can certainly cook the fish separately on a baking sheet, but I thought the sauce added some extra flavor and helped keep it moist.
Serve with lemon wedges and bread for soaking up extra sauce.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

A few weeks ago we went into Boston for the day. After chasing little people up, down, and around the Children's Museum, watching Colin climb up three stories on a jungle gym and James' excitement at a room filled with golf balls, we went to Flour Bakery for lunch.  I had the Roasted Sweet Potato sandwich, and it was amazing. I just checked the menu , and it looks like they don't offer it right now, but lucky for you I made a salad that's just as good.  The original sandwich was roasted sweet potato, apple, walnut pesto, blue cheese and kale on wheat bread.  I took some liberties, changed up some ingredients, and made it into a salad. Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Romaine and Kale, shredded Olive oil Sweet potato rounds, roasted Apple, sliced Avocado Roasted tomatoes Goat cheese Balsamic Vinegar Drizzle kale and romaine with olive oil Sweet potatoes - coat slices or cubes with olive oil and roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Tomatoes - toss with olive o

Lemon Garlic Baked Salmon

Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and ate all the cookies.  I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but all the treats I've been eating for the past month have been making me feel a little sluggish.  When I saw a one day "cleanse" I thought I'd give it a try.  Loosely, it called for drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning, a Glowing Green Smoothie for breakfast, Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea and vegetables for lunch and dinner. My day went like this: First thing after my run: Hot Lemon water - This is a nice way to warm up.  I do this all the time. Breakfast: Glowing Green Smoothie - I liked it a lot.  Very refreshing and hydrating.  Wished I hadn't baked donuts the night before as they were staring me down on the kitchen counter. Lunch: Spicy Mulligatawny Soup - I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant by "salad," but I went with it. Snack: Ginger Lemon Cayenne Detox tea - Zingy and invigorat

Baby Breakfast Cookies and Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes

I make these recipes for Colin, but grown up people might like them too! Colin was never big into baby food purees.  I fed him one jar of food back when he first started eating solids, mostly so that I could have the cute mini jar to use for lotion.  I think those "complete meals in a jar" are kind of creepy.  Chicken dinner puree?  No, thanks.  For the most part he has eaten fruits and vegetables, either raw, steamed, roasted or sauteed.  A few things have been big hits and I use them as staples: broccoli and roasted sweet potatoes.  He's big in picking things up himself.  We can get into ruts, however, one of which resulted in his eating an entire roasted butternut squash over a two week period. He likes to help in the kitchen, which means he wants to see everything that's going on and touch it.  Cooking with one hand while holding him with the other can be a bit of a challenge.  Sometimes I can convince him that the view from his chair is pretty good, and he tak