Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer Quinoa

As far as I'm concerned, you can never have too much quinoa.  At the market the other day I was trying to decide between buying barbecue ribs for dinner or a giant bag of quinoa.  While I like ribs, I knew I'd get much more mileage (and nutrition!) out of the quinoa, so I did the virtuous thing.  This hasn't stopped me from dropping not-so-subtle hints to Jon about the barbecue stand I want to try, however.  I'll wear him down eventually. 

Add anything you want to quinoa, stir in some sort of sauce or dressing, and you have a meal.  Perfect for summer.  This is a combination of fresh summer vegetables topped with the amazingly delicious Lemon Tahini Dressing from Oh She Glows.  We had this on it's own as a light entree one night, and the leftovers as a side dish for burgers.  And, you know me, I topped mine with goat cheese, but that's entirely optional. 


Summer Quinoa
1 cup dried quinoa, rinsed
1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 large cucumber, chopped
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
2 ears corn, kernels removed from cob
Salt and pepper
Parsley for topping

In a medium saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil.
Add in the quinoa, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
In a large bowl, combine chopped vegetables.
Stir in cooked quinoa and Lemon Tahini Dressing.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Top with parsley.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

photo 1-1 photo 1-2